Wednesday, May 10, 2006

happiness is a warm african baby.




this is baby omar. i love him. i am one of the least maternal people i know but i slung this kid around for almost two hours today. he was such a doll. the small of my back got really sweaty and so i flipped him around to the front and he fell asleep on my stomache. it was great. i ran around, yelled at kids, and colored pictures--all with omar attatched to my side. all the somali men came out to talk to me and told me i was beautiful, and all the somali women clucked and said i looked like a bantu.
i was terribly, terribly happy.
you all should be glad that i didn't blog on monday night, the night i really wanted to. because i was in an awful, stressed-out mood. at work that night, everybody kept asking me what was wrong, which of course made it worse. i couldn't put a finger on any one specific thing that was troubling me--my own apathy, my procrastination, the two papers i had to turn in the next day that i hadn't even started--none of that really got down to the business of what was going on in my heart.
luckily for me, i figured it out once i got into my car and drove home.
i was incredibly lonely for christ.
once i got that figured out, i started to feel like danielle again. i have now had some more danille and jesus time, and i feel more at peace with the world. he (christ) hasn't really said much, but we always enjoy being silent together. tonight we had the best time in the car, with the windows rolled down and our hair blowing in the wind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You looked like a natural...

lindsay anne said...

not only do you look natural, but beautiful. seriously, what a picture. you look amazing!

Lo said...

mother superior.

Krispin Mayfield said...

I agree with the elder.

jenzai said...

it's interesting you think of yourself as "least maternal" when you do all the hard stuff: play, chase, yell, color, homework, etc with such love...yep, sorry, you're maternal

mexicandyce said...

holy cow i miss you so much.
i have to say, those strannigan girls have the shapliest legs. aka. we are beautiful.
see you in two weeks!