Saturday, May 27, 2006

a quote from a book that i loved, grew indifferent to, lost, found, and loved again.

" i cried, i think, because i was coming to understand in a new way just how much was required of me, how much god was going to strip away all my everything, like silver polish taking the tarnish off old forks. i cried because i know more and more how chekov was right, how we are running around desperate to make connections but mostly we are all just estranged. because i know more and more that this glass here is so very dark, that this really is a long loneliness, that it is both lonely and long. sometimes i feel god has taken a paring knife to me. i know the way an apple feels."
--lauren winner, girl meets god.

is it strange that this passage makes me so happy?

4 comments:

Lo said...

no, it's not.

Do you remember when I said...

yeah, it is.

shawnalyne said...

I knew there was something deeply spiritual about polishing silver.

lindsay anne said...

such a good title to this here blog.