Friday, June 02, 2006

slow and steady wins the race.

have you ever wondered if you were going crazy? not in the poetic, beautiful, loud and crazy sense . . . but more in the quite, small, nobody else ever thinks-like-this sense? i did all the time when i was a teenager.
today i was reminded of that when faced with a gray afternoon all to myself. i had a coupon for a free movie rental from blockbuster but it seemed like the most insurmountble hurdle to actually get in the car and drive to the store and walk in and be greeted with a cheery and indifferent "hello!" and imagine all those people getting ready for their fridays nights when i just want to curl up and be alone and yet i feel pathetic for feeling the way i do because according to popular culture these days i should be living it up, enjoying the best years of my life. these had better not be the best years of my life. in fact, i know that they are not. these years are a shadow of the years to come, just like this life is a shadow of my real life, my life in christ. these thoughts emboldended me enough to grab my little dog, toss her in the car, and brave the forces of blockbuster. in highschool, one of my greatest fears was returning videos to the video store. don't ask me why. it terrified me in ways that i could never articulate. today was another big step.
when i got home i tore up the stairs and put on my gym shorts so i could do some pilates. i was thinking about how maybe i really am a crazy old woman after all when the doorbell rang. the doorbell never rings at this house. my little dog freaked out. i opened the front door, which is creaky from its lack of usage, and found myself face to face with juanita long, the official grandmother of abundant life megachurch, affectionately nicknamed "oma" to everyone who has ever had a conversation with her. she gave me a huge hug (i haven't seen her in a couple of months) and thrust a plastic bag into my hands. it was warm and squishy.
"it's for your mom," she giggled. "it's play-doh for the little kids in alaska. freshly made!" she clapped her hands in delight. i awkwardly thanked her and told her i would give it to my mom when she got home the next day. oma looked at me, looked at the plastic bag full of homemade green play-doh and gave it a little squeeze herself. "doesn't it just feel like babies?" she asked. i just stared at her and wildly tried to think of a response. she didn't really expect one. "just like babies," she said, walking down the steps of our porch. "freshly made babies."
i went inside and realized that maybe i am a little bit saner than i ever thought.

2 comments:

Lo said...

Oma did NOT say that. oh dear... I never pegged her as a nut.

Anonymous said...

I like silly puddy