Monday, February 13, 2006

my bloody you-know-what.

i am tired of being the poor man's valentine.
meaning, that i tired of being the reliably single friend who is a girl that boys turn to when they feel emotionally needy. bleah. i can't stomache it anymore. i had two calls today from such boys. it makes me feel sadder than ever.
but then i remembered this:
there is much more to love than all these pink and gray thoughts floating around.
i just finished the book "the great divorce" by c.s. lewis, and one of the passages said everything that i had been trying to say for a long time. it has to do with a girl who is in heaven trying to explain the way love works to her lover. she is in heaven, and he has the choice to join her or not. here it is:

"You mean, said the Tragedian, "you mean--you did not love me truly in the old days?"
"Only in a poor sort of way," she answered. "I have asked you to forgive me. There was a little real love in it. But what we called love down there was mostly the craving to be loved. In the main I loved you for my own sake: because I needed you."

"And now!" said the Tragedian with a hackneyed gesture of dispair. "Now, you need me no more?"
"But of course not!" said the Lady; and her smile made me wonder how both the phantoms could refrain from crying out with joy.
"What needs could I have," she said, "now that I have all? I am full now, not empty. I am in Love Himself, not lonely. Strong, not weak. You shall be the same. Come and see. We shall have no need for one another now: we can begin to love truly."

i just find that all so shockingly beautiful.
well, my skittish cat vladimir has decided to sleep on my bed with me tonight, and i just finished painting my nails a fiery red.
i think i am just about ready to face the day tomorrow.

3 comments:

Travis said...

Thats a great book, and a great passage. I understand what you mean about the reliable single person. I was that person in college, then I just stopped caring and people stopped calling. I'm not sure if thats the best way to go about it though.

lindsay anne said...

good literary quote there.
love it.
but i love you more, sis.
hope your v day wasn't too worthless.

Do you remember when I said...

I agree with travis.