Saturday, February 25, 2006

"my independence is only skin deep."--Seymour Glass.

well, i am sick. i never used to get sick when i was a little kid. i only remember getting the flu once, and that was when my mom and older sister were away for a week at a worship conference and it was just me, my little sister, and my dad. we lived in wyoming, and it was very windy. my dad fed us a straight-up diet of tv. dinners and matinee movies. we loved it, until we got the flu. the poor man didn't know what to do, and brought in a succession of older, matronly "baby-sitters". i only remember the sprite that they made us drink. they never rubbed my back when i was throwing up. i think i got better just as my mom got back.
well, i have a fever for the first time since i can remember. my eyes feel yellow, and liquidy, and the exact same temperature as my face. which is pretty hot.
so, i can't sleep. my nose is dripping, my mouth has to stay open in order to breath, and i feel like my cheeks are on fire (although my toes feel very chilled). but, who wants to read a blog about sick danielle?
i think it is time for me to count my blessings.
things i am thankful for. here we go:
1. lost salinger short-stories that are found by new friends who feel older.
2. co-workers who are delightfully pagan.
3. married friends who fight and make-up in front of me in wonderful ways.
4. married friends who cook me lentil soup and discuss how to reverse the degenerative effect that christian missionaries brought to millions of people worldwide.
5. the book of hosea.
5. cake. a good piece of yellow cake. i haven't had any yet (nor do i feel like eating at the exact moment), but god is teaching me to thank him in advance for things that i don't even really believe are going to happen. so i thank him for the cake.

that's all. thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Krispin Mayfield said...

not so marvelous - I'm really sorry that you're sick. On the other hand, marvelous things to be thankful for.

lindsay anne said...

silly billy the boxer strannigan -- you should have called me and bemoaned your current state of affairs.

also, the being thankful for cake made me laugh out loud. I read it to Dan from Sherwood.

Travis said...

I agree and since I grew up on Neil Young and "classic rock" it feels like I almost did grow up in another era. In high school Neil was my comfort music, so yes, the cd does make me feel warm and relaxed. Hey, thanks for commenting!